- Nprn: 8532
- Cadw Ref: (WO)7/41
- Cadw Record No: 4679
- Summary: Ainon Baptist Chapel was built in 1840 and modified in 1887. The present chapel, dated 1887, is built in the Vernacular style of the long-wall entry type. Ainon is now Grade 2 Listed as a well preserved mid-nineteenth century chapel.
RCAHMW, February 2010
- Description: Long-wall entry chapel built 1840; rebuilt/modified 1887. Building style is vernacular, long-wall entry type. Building is listed Grade 2. Status (1998): in chapel use.
"Dated 1840 and still entirely in the Georgian tradition....". Stone with slated roof and deep eaves. Sashes. 2 and 3-window fronts. Twin doorways. Flat plaster ceiling. Contemporary fittings (Based on Welsh Office Prov. List description of 1964; OMJ. 24/9/1997).
Rectangular single-storey chapel of long wall entry type in vernacular Georgian style; of squared, rough-dressed stone blocks under a wide slate roof with oversailing eaves and verges. Symmetrical facade with central pair of 12-pane, unhorned sash windows flanking a square inset slate plaque inscribed: 'Ainon Addoldy Bedyddwyr 1840 Baptist Chapel.' Outer entrances (L and R) with boarded doors in pegged and moulded frames. The rear has three evenly-spaced, similar sashes, with applied horns and rough slate sills. Ashlar joints scratched onto slobbered mortar of gable end.
The interior is plain but largely unaltered. Boarded inner wind porches with wooden hat hooks to R and L. Flat plaster ceiling with 2 lateral plastered beams. There are 3 rows of raked box pews each to the back and front, with 3 rows of plain, open-backed pews at the front; pine joinery throughout. Central square panelled pulpit with canted sides and moulded cornice; steps up with wooden rail, columnar newel and stick balusters. The pulpit has a plain 4-panelled back with segmentally-arched top. To the L of the pulpit are 3 further box pews.
- Dated: 1840 Source:Welsh Office
- Built: 1840 Source:Plaque
- Built: 1840 Source:Religious Census
- Church Formed: 1842 Source:Llawlyfr 1998
- Rebuilt: 1887 Source:
- Chapel: 19/07/1997 Source:N. Hughes
- Date Of Chapel: 1887 Source:
- Builder: 1887 Watkin, Llangollen
- 68: 1851 (Religious Census)
- 64: 1851 (Religious Census)
- Chapel: 1998 (Llawlyfr)
- Chapel: 2011 (Baptist Union Website)
- Welsh: 1998 (Llawlyfr)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Style: Vernacular
- Plan: Long-wall entry
- Window Glazing: Small Pane
- Windows: Flat-Headed
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Key People in this Chapel History
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
The Languages of the Chapel during its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SH87002977
- Address: TYDDYN Y FELIN, LLANUWCHLLYN