- Nprn: 8241
- Cadw Ref: 16/J/28(11)
- Cadw Record No: 15320
- Summary: Bronydd Baptist Chapel is a timber-framed structure built in the sixteenth century. The chapel was partly rebuilt in stone during the eighteenth century and further rebuilt/modified in 1844. Bronydd is now Grade 2 Listed for the special interest of the timber-framed origins and local non-conformist history.
RCAHMW, January 2010
- Description: The chapel is a C16 or C17 timber-framed structure, possibly originally a barn (Cadw); it was partly rebuilt in stone in C18 and there was further C19 work (Cadw); according to the Religious Census of 1851, it was built in 1844. Status (1995): in religious use.
Situated on sloping site approximately 100 metres south-east of the A 438 and 2km north-east of Clyro.
History: C16 or C17 origins as a timber-framed building; partly rebuilt in stone in C18 and then in the C19 the uphill end was converted into a Baptist Chapel. The whole building was perhaps originally a barn although it is also said to have been formerly a Drovers' Inn.
Exterior: L-plan 2-storey slate-roofed building with the chapel set into the slope and the cottage at the base across the slope; rubble plinth. The cottage has rubble end walls incorporating projecting chimney stacks and the rubble lower half of the front wall probably replaces lost timber-framing; the upper floor retains square-panel framing. C20 glazing, largely small timber casements, and part-glazed door under plain hood. The cross range forming the chapel has a stone-tile roof and weatherboarded side walls over the high plinth; the rendered gable end has a gabled porch. Similar fenestration.
Interior: The cottage has substantial jowelled wall posts and roof trusses together with exposed chamfered beams and some exposed wall framing. The chapel has a plain interior with large tie beam trusses partially exposed beneath modern boarded ceiling at collar level. Simple boarded reading desk up steps at south end.
- Rebuilt: 1844 Source:Religious Census
- Uphill End To Chapel: 1800-1899 Source:Cadw
- Timber-framed ?barn: 1500-1699 Source:Cadw
- Ptly Rebuilt In Stone: 1700-1799 Source:Cadw
- Date Of Chapel: 1844 Source:
- £ : 1905 Rented (RCCEORBWM)
- 12: 1851 (Religious Census)
- 100: 1851 Free (Religious Census)
- 100: 1905 Sittings (RCCEORBWM)
- Chapel: 31/01/1995 (Cadw)
- Chapel: 2010 (R Scourfield)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Style: Vernacular
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Costs during this Chapels History
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SO2282945169
- Address: BRONYDD