- Nprn: 7276
- Cadw Ref: 22/I/7(1)
- Cadw Record No: 16631
- Summary: Nanternis Welsh Independent Chapel was built in 1867, but retains a late Georgian style and plan; there was some embellishment of the façade in the early twentieth century. It is in the simple round-headed style, with a pebbledashed lateral front with smooth rendered quoins and recessed openings. The roof is of Welsh slate, and it has projecting eaves and bargeboards. The chapel is entered via paired doors with fanlights to either end of the side elevation, flanking a pair of tall round-headed sash windows, and with a further two smaller round-headed lights above the entrances. The left hand elevation has no fenestration, while the church hall adjoins the right hand elevation. The rear elevation has two round-headed sash windows to each storey.
Within the chapel there is a three-sided gallery with panelled front and moulded beading, mounting upon iron posts by Thomas and Co. of Cardigan. The gallery seating is tiered and painted. Below are curved pews, and a pulpit with polygonal panelled front and flanking stairs. The ceiling has coving on the long sides, while the central portion is boarded and ribbed with radiating ribs and wooden ventilation panels.
Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents
K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 March 2009
- Description: Chapel built 1867 in simple round-headed style, long-wall entry type. Facade modified early C20th & schoolroom added 1923. Status (1998): in chapel use.
Excellent 2-storey sidewall façade. Superb courtyard of coloured pebbles.
"Lamb + Flag" etched coloured glass in central windows.
- Built: 1867 Source:Cadw
- Established: 1865 Source:Evan James
- Built: 1866 Source:Evan James
- Built: 1867 Source:Plaque
- Built: 1867 Source:Anthony Jones
- Date Of Chapel: 1920A Source:
- Facade Embellishment: 1920A Source:Cadw
- Schoolroom Attached: 1923 Source:Cadw
- Vestry Built: 1923 Source:Plaque
- £ 751: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- 360: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- Chapel: 1998 (Blwyddiadur)
- Chapel: 6/12/2010 (Denominational website)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Style: Simple Round-Headed
- Plan: Long-wall entry
- Window Glazing: Fan Headed
- Windows: Tall Round-Headed
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Costs during this Chapels History
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SN37245647
- Address: NANTERNIS