- Nprn: 6644
- Summary: Ammanford English Baptist Church started out at a barn, which in 1880 became a Preparatory school, Ysgol y Gwynfryn (also known as Hope Academy) for Theological and other colleges. A new chapel was built in 1910, in the Arts & Crafts style with a gable entry plan.
RCAHMW, August 2009
- Description: Originally a barn, Ysgol y Gwynfryn (also known as Hope Academy) was founded in 1880 as a preparatory school for Theological and other colleges;new building 1910; building style is Arts & Crafts, gable entry type. Status (1998): in chapel use. Date of present building 1910.
Building was originally a barn which became a school (Ysgol y Gwynfryn) in 1880. Gwynfryn School, also called Hope Academy, was a preparatory school for Theological and other colleges begun by W. Wynne (1844-1905). The school continued after his death in 1905 until 1915 under the headmastership of Dr "Gweli" Jenkins, later Archdruid of Wales.
Main walls of building are probably of random rubble stone walling or brick rendered over with cement plaster facing. May be some part of the gable façade in sandstone which has some arches, restored features of interest, mainly fashioned in cement. Some red faced brick has been utilised on the side elevation window arches. Roofs of timber framing clad with Welsh slate.
Notes by I D Jones 22/2/1998.
- Built: 1880A Source:RCAHMW photo
- Date Of Chapel: 1880A Source:RCAHMW
- 175: 1905 Sittings (RCCEORBWM)
- Chapel: 22/2/1998 (Site visit - I D Jones)
- Chapel: 2011 (Barry Humphries)
- English: 22/2/1998 (Site visit - I D Jones)
- English: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Storey: Single Storey
- Style: Arts and Crafts
- Gallery: X
- Plan: Gable Entry
- Pulpit Position: Rear wall
- Window Glazing: Stained Glass
- Windows: Segmental Head
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
The Languages of the Chapel during its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SN62861265
- Address: BRYNMAWR AVENUE, AMMANFORDAMMANFORD